These instructions are to Initiate a New Case with a Request to Waive Court Fees in the Los Angeles Civil Courts. If a case already exists in the court system, you will want to File on an Existing Case.
These steps take you through the process of starting a brand new case in the Los Angeles Civil Courts and submitting it with a waiver. It also shows you how to electronically serve your documents on parties and / or attorneys in the case through the use of service contacts. Once your new case filing is submitted, you will receive email notifications from the court on the status of your filing.
Initiate a New Case with a Request to Waive Court Fees
- In Section 1, Select Court & Case Type select the Court, Case Type, and Enter the required Los Angeles – Civil Additional Case Data (these fields may vary from case type to case type).
- In Section 2, Add Documents – Upload ONLY your Complaint, Summons, and Civil Case Coversheet (with the Addendumn attached to it).
- In Section 3, New Case Parties – ONLY enter the Plaintiff’s info that you are requesting the waiver for. Fill out all the information in that section completely, and then select Fee Waiver from the Fee Exemption drop down.
- When you select Fee Waiver, you will receive a popup that says, “When requesting a fee waiver, you must upload a Request to Waive Court Fees document.” Close that popup, and scroll back up to Section 2.
- Back at Section 2, the document type Request to Waive Court Fees will now be auto-populated. Click to Upload that request.
- Scroll down to Section 3, and enter all remaining New Case Parties.
- In Section 4, choose the party or parties you are filing on behalf of.
- In Section 5, Filing Fees, before submitting the filing, ALWAYS confirm your fees are waived.
- Select a payment account (when submitting a filing with a waiver, the court still requires you to pick a payment method).
- Click the Confirm Fee Calculation link to make sure the Grand Total is $0.00.
- Additional e-Service – Add service contacts to your filing to perform electronic service. If there aren’t any service contacts listed, or you need to add additional service contacts, click the Add Service Contact link. If there are service contacts listed that shouldn’t be there, you can remove them if you added them; only the person who added the service contact can delete a service contact.
- Review & Submit – Finalize your filing, review, and submit.
- If you are Filing for an Attorney select them from the menu or click the Add Attorney link.
- If your firm uses any sort of Client Matter No, enter it here. If you want an unofficial copy of the filing to go to anyone associated with the case, like a client, enter their email(s) here. Note: this is different from a service contact, and it, along with the client matter number, are for your internal purposes only.
- If your court has the option to leave the clerk a memo, enter any sort of note here in the Note to Clerk box.
- Review your entire filing for accuracy, and check the Verify box to acknowledge you have and also agree to any service provider fees.
Click the Submit Filing button. Once you click the button, your filing is sent directly to the court’s filing clerk for review. Your filing will show Pending and you will get credit for the submission time once all documents are uploaded to the court.
Congratulations! You have submitted your filing to Initiate a New Case with a Request to Waive Court Fees. The court will review it, and email you with a response in short time depending on their backlog. You can always go to the Filing Status page at any time to see where the filing stands.