An attorney who doesn’t live, work, or conduct regular business in California may use our e-filing application to either Apply for Pro Hac Vice or Renew it. The following steps walk filers through the document type needed in order to pay the $500 fee associated with applying or renewing a Pro Hac Vice in Los Angeles Civil Cases.
File on an Existing Case
- Select Case – Choose your case, or click add a case to retrieve your case from the court’s system. If you do not see your case in the menu, click the Add a Case link. You may some or all of the case number to filter your results.
- Add Documents – Whether an attorney is Applying for or Renewing a Pro Hac Vice, they will select the Document Type of Application to be Admitted Pro Hac Vice and then upload the PDF. They may then add any other documents related to the case too.
- Additional Info – Enter any additional information that is required for this filing type. The fields in this section will vary somewhat based on the case and previous filings on it.
- Court Reservation Number – Leave this field blank if you have a Court Reservation Number, and enter it in the Note to Clerk field in Section 6 at the bottom. When entering a number here, the court’s system assumes filers paid the required fee at the time of reserving a date. Therefore, the e-filing system is unable to assess the proper fee. Only enter a Court Reservation Number here if you have ALREADY paid the $500 fee.
- Filed By – Choose the Filed By party for this Application to be Admitted Pro Hac Vice. Click the blue Plus Sign on the upper right of that section to add another Filed By party.
- As To – Choose the As To party for this Application to be Admitted Pro Hac Vice; typically that is the Opposing Party. Click the blue Plus Sign on the upper right of that section to add another As To party.
- Filing Fees – Select a payment method to pay estimated fees.
- Select Payment Account and then click the Confirm Fee Calculation link.
- After clicking the Confirm Fee Calculation link, the filer will see the $500 fee for the Application to be Admitted Pro Hac Vice.
- Additional e-Service – Add service contacts to your filing to perform electronic service. If there aren’t any service contacts listed, or you need to add additional service contacts, click the Add Service Contact link. If there are service contacts listed that shouldn’t be there, you can remove them if you added them; only the person who added the service contact can delete a service contact.
- Review & Submit – Finalize your filing, review, and submit.
- If you are Filing for an Attorney select them from the menu or click the Add Attorney link.
- If your firm uses any sort of Client Matter No, enter it here. If you want an unofficial copy of the filing to go to anyone associated with the case, like a client, enter their email(s) here. Note: this is different from a service contact, and it, along with the client matter number, are for your internal purposes only.
- If your court has the option to leave the clerk a memo, enter any sort of note here in the Note to Clerk box.
- Review your entire filing for accuracy, and check the Verify box to acknowledge you have and also agree to any service provider fees.
Click the Submit Filing button. Once you click the button, your filing is sent directly to the court’s filing clerk for review. Your filing will show Pending and you will get credit for the submission time once all documents are uploaded to the court.
Congratulations! You have submitted your Application for (or Renewal of) Pro Hac Vice. The court will review it, and email you with a response in short time depending on their backlog. You can always go to the Filing Status page at any time to see where the filing stands.