Pursuant to Supreme Court Order M.R. 18368, Mandatory E-Filing in Civil Cases, filed January 22, 2016 and M.R. 18368, In re: Electronic Filing in Civil and Criminal Cases and Remote Access Systems, filed May 30, 2017, the following e-filing standards apply to eFileIL.
Supreme Court of Illinois Orders, Rules, Standards, and resources.
- M.R. 18368 Order (Jan. 22, 2016): View PDF
- M.R. 18368 Order (May 30, 2017): View PDF
- The eFileIL website: Visit Site
- Supreme Court Rules: Visit Site
- Record on Appeal Standards: View PDF
Note: see Record on Appeal Standards for document format and file size standards for e-filing the record on appeal to the reviewing courts.
- File Size for Illinois Reviewing Courts
The maximum file size for a document e-filed through eFileIL to the Supreme Court and Appellate Court Districts is 150mb.
- File Size for Illinois Trial Courts
The maximum file size for a document e-filed through eFileIL is 25mb., with a maximum envelope size of 50mb.
- Document Format
When possible, the following parameters apply to e-filed documents submitted through eFileIL:
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR) PDF.
- Minimum 300 dpi (dots per inch), Maximum 600 dpi – scanned in black / white mode.
- Page Size: 8½ x 11 inches.
- 12 pt. font
- First page, top margin of each e-filed document should be two inches.
- A one inch page margin on all sides (top, bottom, right and left sides).
- When possible, the OCR PDF document should be created directly from the program creating that document, rather than from a scanned image of the document.
- Hyperlinks, Security, or Embedded Video or Audio in e-Filed Documents
Hyperlinks to external material contained within an e-filed document are for convenience purposes only and the hyperlinked material is not considered a part of the filing. E-filed documents cannot contain any security or encryption. Embedded audio or video files in PDF document are not allowed.
- Bulk Filings
Bulk filings of documents from multiple cases combined into one PDF document shall not be accepted. Documents with different case numbers must be filed individually in separate transactions / envelopes.
- Photographs or Graphics
Photographs or graphics shall be permitted to be e-filed. If the graphic or photograph is in color, it shall be filed in color, if possible. Graphics or photographs larger than 8 ½ x 11 inches shall not be e-filed and the filer should contact the court clerk for alternative filing procedures.