It should be noted that as the e-filing service provider (EFSP), our system has no control over the court filing fees that the Los Angeles Superior Court (LASC) assesses. It is the software from the court’s e-filing manager (EFM), along with the reviewing clerk, who assesses and confirms the filing fees. It’s those fees that are due upon their review and acceptance of the filing. If LASC determines that court filing fees are due, even if it is only their e-filing transaction fee, then as the EFSP, we will assess our service provider fee.

Note: Filings where a valid fee waiver is in place, and that waiver results in LASC not assessing their fees, then as the EFSP, we will waive our service provider fee too.

Always Click the Confirm Fee Calculation Link

Before submitting any filing into LASC Civil, it is a best practice to ALWAYS click the Confirm Fee Calculation link in the fees section of the filing after selecting a payment method.

Always Click the Confirm Fee Calculation Link

This step is necessary as the LASC Civil Court does not allow filers or the EFSP to cancel or edit a filing once submitted. Additionally, when a filer or the EFSP reaches out to LASC directly to request they edit or cancel a filing, the LASC filing clerk will not edit or cancel the pending filing. They are required to review the pending envelope based on its merits alone.

If LASC’s EFM returns an amount for estimated fees at this time when you believe it should not have, please either email us at or click the Live Chat Support button in the lower right corner so that a chat agent may assist.

Once again, you should reach out to us BEFORE submitting the filing to LASC Civil if you see any payment error issues in this section.

Submit a Request for Refund

If a filer does feel the Los Angeles Superior Civil Court has overcharged them, filers have the option to submit a Request for Refund (LACIV150) either electronically (e-file) or in paper at the court location in question. However, when a user submits the request electronically, the document must be filed separately in its own envelope. The court will waive any EFM and Court fees.

Court approved reasons to issue a refund:

  • The Court inappropriately charged the fees
  • Errors in the Court’s system inappropriately charged the fees
  • Fees that must be refunded pursuant to statute
  • A judicial officer ordered the refund of fees

Additionally, the court requests supporting documentation to assist in processing the refund. This documentation can consist of the Notice of Confirmation of Electronic Filing for the transaction in question and/or the receipt our system generated for the filing. This supporting documentation can be added to the last pages of your completed LACIV150 form.

Refunds will be approved if the funds are available on the case. If the funds have been previously refunded or if the Court has been notified that the funds are unpaid for any reason, the refund will be denied.

Once the Court accepts the Request for Refund, the filer may reach back out to us via email or live chat to request that we credit back our Service Provider Fee charged in the filing. LASC does not refund that on their end.

Disputing Charges With Your Bank Does Not Resolve the Issue

If a filer believes LASC has charged the fees incorrectly, then they will want to address the payment issue with LASC directly. Disputing the charges with your bank will not solve the issue.

When a filer disputes charges with their bank, and it results in a chargeback to the EFSP, the EFSP is obligated to report any unpaid fees back to LASC; regardless of reason. This can result in delays in a filer’s case or the LASC filing clerk has the option of marking the fees unpaid on the case in their Case Management System.

Additionally, the EFSP may place a fee on the filer’s account if needed in the amount of the chargeback. This results in the filer’s inability to e-file until that fee is paid. If this happens, then the filer will want to pay the fee in the application, and then file the Request for Refund on the case in paper at the court location in question in person or via mail by the attorney of record on the form.

Please remember, filing a Request for Refund on the case with the Court is the only approved method LASC allows for refunds on filings at this time.